contact us at Buzzardbushcraft @ gmail.com

Sunday 19 April 2015

Working with Bone again - Making a Bone Knife.

Its been quite a while since I've worked with bone and its something I really enjoy, so a few hours spare time recently allowed me to make a few items, one in particular, a bone knife, is something I've wanted to do for a while.


I wanted something primitive looking and not too refined, something an ancestor would have made, so it's a bone blade, hawthorn handle and it's fixed with pine pitch and artificial sinew. It's very comfortable in hand and I haven't put a serious edge on it as I've found it looses the edge quickly unless it's used on flesh or soft material, however if it's a serrated edge it works very efficiently and lasts a lot longer.


it would be good for use on fish, meat or as a skinning blade


and along side a victorinox farmer for scale.

While I was at it I thought I'd make a few other items too...



5 comments:

  1. Great work! What size/type of bone did you use for the blade? And what are the implements on the left of the arrow heads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red deer femur and broad needles for woven baskets

      Delete